Supplemental Ascorbic Acid Reduces Thrombosis In Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients, Study Finds

According to a recent study, low-dose ascorbic acid as an additional treatment for coronavirus illness 2019 (COVID-19) appears to reduce the incidence of thrombosis but has no discernible effect on death.

Supplemental Ascorbic Acid Reduces Thrombosis In Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients, Study Finds
Photo: Ascorbic Acid Supplement | InStyleHealth


Researchers used 739 critically sick adult patients with confirmed COVID-19 who were admitted to the intensive care unit in a two-center, noninterventional, retrospective cohort analysis. The primary outcome was in-hospital mortality, which was compared between individuals who received supplementary ascorbic acid and those who did not. Acute kidney injury, thrombosis, and respiratory failure were among the other outcomes studied, as were length of stay (LOS), mechanical ventilation (MV) duration, and complications such acute kidney injury, thrombosis, and respiratory failure.

A total of 158 patients (21.3%) received ascorbic acid treatment, whereas the other 581 patients (78.7%) did not. In-hospital death rates in the ascorbic acid group were considerably lower before propensity score matching (33.6 percent vs 49.3 percent; p=0.0006), however this effect was diminished after matching for baseline severity levels, study location, and systematic use of corticosteroids (p=0.11).

The risk of in-hospital mortality was comparable between those who received ascorbic acid and those who did not (odds ratio [OR], 0.77, 95 percent confidence interval [CI], 0.476–1.234; p=0.27), according to a propensity score-adjusted logistic regression analysis. The 30-day mortality rate was the same.

In terms of complications, thrombosis/infarction was considerably less common in ascorbic acid-treated patients (6.1 percent vs 13 percent; OR, 0.42, 95 percent CI, 0.184–0.937; p=0.03). Other issues were not shown to have a similar effect.

A low supplemental dose of enteral ascorbic acid resulted in a considerable reduction in thrombosis risk throughout ICU stay, based on the outcomes. According to the researchers, “the underlying advantage of ascorbic acid on thrombosis could be attributable to its anti-inflammatory properties.” “More research is needed to corroborate these findings.”

 

Source: Sci Rep 2021;11:17648

If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post