Coexistence of Asthma, Rhinitis, and Eczema in Individuals Are Very Rare, According to Study

According to the data from the West Sweden Asthma Study that as few as 2% of the general adult population have concomitant asthma, rhinitis, and eczema. Moreover, individuals with the three conditions are most likely to be sensitized to aeroallergens.

Photo: Allergic Rhinitis | InStyleHealth


Researchers from the West Sweden Asthma study evaluated the phenotypes and sensitization profiles of 1,103 randomly selected people. All of the selected participants had their serum-IgE measured and responded to structured interviews on asthma, rhinitis, eczema, their associated symptoms, and the relevant risk factors.

Majority of the participants in the study were women represented 53% of the cohort, who were also generally younger than men with an average age of 46.2 years vs 49.2 years. Comparing it with men, more women were current smokers, had body index <25kg/m2 (45% vs 29%), and had a family history of asthma and/or allergy. In the meantime, men were considerably more often exposed to gas, dust, or fumes at work and more commonly had specific sensitization as demonstrated with positive Phadiatop test (36% vs 24%).

Incidence of current asthma, rhinitis, and eczema was 13%, 53%, and 14% respectively. While incidence of concomitant asthma, rhinitis, and eczema was 2% in the total population and 6% in the subgroup of participants with allergic sensitization. Corresponding figures for asthma and rhinitis, but not eczema, was 8% and 19%, respectively.

Bases of coexistence of the three conditions included family history of asthma/allergy, body mass index, and occupational exposure to gas, dust, and fumes.

Seventy-eight percent of individuals were found to have allergic sensitization with asthma, rhinitis, and eczema; 65% of those with asthma and rhinitis but not eczema; 40% of those with asthma and eczema but not rhinitis; and only 5% of those having asthma only.

Results of the study may be valuable consideration of the development of new treatment opportunities for chronic obstructive airway diseases and allergies, especially of monoclonal antibody targeting the interleukin (IL)4/IL 13 pathway, which is indicated for treatment of both severe asthma and atopic eczema.


Source: Respir Med 2021

If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post